Help Mary Get The Best Treatment Possible...

We would like to thank our friends at Automatic Car Credit for setting up an account at Zions Bank to help offset Mary's medical costs. As you can imagine, her cancer treatment is very expensive. Your heart felt donations will go towards getting her the best care possible...Mary, Erin and I are deeply touched by your generousity. We will do our best to make a difference in this world with the second chance you are giving us. We appreciate this more then you will ever know.

We love you all,

Dave, Mary & Erin




To Donate: Go to any Zions Bank. Make donation under the account "Mary Will Win Donation"

Update: Many of you have had problems with Zions finding this account. You must use the full account name which is

"Mary Will Win Donation" they will not be able to find it under anything less then those 4 words. Sorry for the confusion but thank you so much for your help!


Any donations that are not used to cover her medical expenses will be donated to the Huntsman Cancer Foundation.


Friday, February 12, 2010

Random thoughts from Dave

February 8, 2010




It has been 9 days since my wife was diagnosed with lobular carcinoma, a type of breast cancer. I still can’t help but think that there has to be some mistake. Why her? Why our family? Is this some sort of punishment for something that we did or didn’t do? Does breast cancer attack people in a completely random fashion or were we chosen by some higher power to face this challenge? If we were chosen…what is the reason? Is there some sort of life lesson that we are supposed to learn? What could it possibly be? What life lesson would require you to go through such pain…such heartache? What could we possibly learn from so much suffering? As I lay in bed every night and ask myself these questions and so many more…no answers seem to come.

It has only been 2 short years since she had brain surgery to remove a lemon sized tumor from the back side of her brain. Luckily it was a benign tumor, but the surgery was still difficult. It took almost a full year to heal. I did my best to stay positive and put on a smile as I went about my day…but it was very difficult at times. Mary was a hero through it all, very rarely showing any signs of fear or pain, though I knew it was there. My daughter, Erin, also showed tremendous courage and faith …well beyond her 7 years at the time. Now we are all faced with this latest challenge. How will we handle it? How will I handle it? We have lots of loving family and friends that are very supportive and willing to do whatever they can to help and I appreciate that tremendously….but….in the end, in the loneliness of the night, in my own thoughts….I am alone. We all are. That doesn’t mean that I want people to feel sorry for me…for us. It just means that each one of us has to find our own inner strength, our own personal way of dealing with adversity….the challenges that we face in our lives. Personally, I will do my best to search for the lessons that I believe exist in every one of the challenges that life presents us. There has to be a reason that we have been presented with this. There has to be something that I can learn….something that I can use to grow and change for the better. The answers that I am seeking are elusive. I may find them tomorrow, next week, next year….or 10 years from now. I hope sooner than later, as answers would bring some relief to the pain and sorrow that accompanies this awful disease. In the meantime, I will try to occupy my mind with other things, like learning about cancer, its treatments and how they affect people and how I can help my wife and daughter stay positive.

Mary’s surgery has been scheduled for February 16th, 2010. She has opted to have a complete mastectomy of her right breast instead of a lumpectomy. It offers the best chance of completely removing the tumor and for complete recovery. I can only imagine how difficult that decision must have been. I know how difficult it was for me to help in that decision and it’s not even my body! Imagine being faced with the amputation of your arm or leg and how difficult that decision would be for you. I know that your arm or leg are a little bit more necessary for daily life but a breast is still part of your body that you are going to have removed….permanently! I can only imagine the impact this has on one’s life. The emotional healing that will be necessary long after the physical body has healed. It seems like too much for one person to handle…but the human body and mind are resilient. It is difficult to keep a positive spirit down for long….and I know, deep in my heart, that Mary can handle this….that we can handle this. Together…Mary, Erin and I will get through this….somehow…someway.

5 comments:

  1. Wow!! Dave, you are amazing, Mary is lucky to have you to help her get through this. You guys need to know that we are here for you, and prayers are going up Like crazy everyday. You'll get through this! We love you guys!

    Tim & Berta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Dave, you are amazing!!! And Mary will win, your whole family will win. I don't think the reality of this all hit me until last night and I don't know why. I laid in bed with much of the same questions in my head as you. You guys are strong, we are all strong and we are all in this together. I love you guys!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Dave, thanks for putting into words what we are all feeling! I can't beleive the strength that comes from talking to eachother. Mary, you said it is easier for you to not be alone. I agree! I feel so much better when I am with you. I am amazed at your strength! I wish I could do this for you. You have already been through more than your share! Just a step to prepare you for whatever comes next. Heavenly Father has let me know how much he loves you! He has sent His Son to walk with you. He will carry you when it gets too hard! In Joshua 1:9 it says... "Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." There are alot of people that love you. We know you can do this! Don't forget Mom is watching over you.
    Love, Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Mower's-

    We want you to know how much we love and appreciate all you do for us. Even though things may seem bleak right now we are here for you. If at times you don't feel strong enough to carry on, let us pick you up and help you through, after all, we are family.

    Love,

    The "Other" Mower's
    Mike, Julie, Ethan and Christian)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are here praying and thinking and fasting. You have support all over. This blog will be good to put to words all your feelings and to post updates without having to talk to everyone personally which would be extremely overwhelming. Great idea and thanks so much for it. It is wonderful to be able to keep up and not feel in the dark about all that is going on!

    Love you guys! You can do it.
    Love, Erika, Landon and kids

    ReplyDelete